Wednesday, July 15, 2015

dad's coffee cake

This recipe was passed down from my Dad's mom to him and now to me. I love recipe's that have lasted for more than one generation. This recipe is a favorite of mine and I've made it so many times that I practically have it memorized. I have no idea where my Grandma got the recipe and frankly, it doesn't matter because it's delicious and so easy to make!

Growing up, I really only ever remember my Dad making this, I'm sure my Mom made it more than once but it was really something my Dad liked to make for us, usually when we had breakfast for dinner. Every time I make this, it evokes such fond childhood memories,mostly of my brothers and I fighting over who got the last piece!




Dad's Coffee Cake

preheat oven to 350

1/2 tsp salt
6 tsp baking powder
2/3 C granulated sugar
1/2 C (1 stick) butter, cubed
2 eggs
1 C milk

In a large mixing bowl, stir all dry ingredients together. Add the butter and cut in with a fork, once butter is incorporated, add the eggs, one at a time and mix in. Lastly, add the milk and stir. 
Butter a 9x13 glass baking dish and pour batter into it, spreading it evenly. 




Now in a medium size mixing bowl, mix together; 1 C brown sugar, 6 Tbsp of butter (room temp), 1 tsp each of ground cloves and cinnamon. 

With your fingers or a spoon, drop bits of the brown sugar mixture evenly over the top of the batter. Place pan in oven and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. 

Makes 24, 1 piece servings. 




Happy Baking!
~erin


No comments:

Post a Comment